Pursuant to SC Code 5-7-30, every person engaged or intending to engage in any calling, business, occupation or profession in whole or in part, within the limits of the Town of Springdale, is required to pay a license fee for the privilege of doing business and obtain a business license as provided.

Contact for business licenses, Jacquelyn Adams:

Resident Businesses

If you are a new business that wishes to locate within the corporate limits of the Town of Springdale, you must first obtain a zoning permit to ensure that the location you have selected is suitable for the business you wish to conduct. To find out more about zoning in the Town of Springdale, visit the Zoning and Development page.
 Once a zoning permit has been granted, you must complete an in-town business license application, and pay the appropriate fee. Give Jacquelyn Adams a call at 803-794-0408 and she will be happy to assist you with the process.  

Note: All licenses expire on December 31 of the year in which they are issued. Renewals will be subject to a penalty fee if they are not completed by April 15.

Non-Resident Businesses

Individuals or companies that are located outside the corporate limits of the Town of Springdale should complete this out-of-town business license application and return it to town hall accompanied by the license fee.

There is also a “One Job Only” option for doing work one time in the town for a discounted base fee of $50.00 up to the first $2,000.00 of gross receipts.

If your work is of the nature where a building permit and inspections will be required, you must provide a copy of your valid contractor’s license before any work will be permitted.

All licenses expire on December 31.

Rate Classification Guide

Business classification rating is based on the NAICS Codes. Your business is placed in one of eight class ratings based on this code. If you are unsure of what your business should be classified as, please contact Town Hall.

Hospitality Tax

On March 5th, 2019, the Springdale Town Council passed Ordinance 0-19-03, an Ordinance providing for a Local Hospitality Tax on the Sales of Prepared Meals and Beverages in Establishments in the Town of Springdale. Establishments in the Town that sell prepared meals and beverages were required to begin collecting the 2% Local Hospitality Tax starting on May 1, 2019. THE FIRST REMITTANCE WILL BE DUE BY JUNE 20TH, 2019 WHICH WILL COVER THE PERIOD OF MAY 1, 2019 – MAY 31, 2019. The town will use these funds for tourism-related activities and improvements. The Town of Springdale appreciates all of our local businesses and what they contribute to the quality of life in our town. If you have any questions regarding the Local Hospitality Tax, please contact Municipal Clerk, Leeann Eden at 803-794-0408.

Hospitality Tax Packet

Building Permits

A building permit is required any time you construct, enlarge, renovate, move, or change a structure.  This includes the erection, installation, enlargement, renovation, conversion, or replacement of any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.  The requirement does not include repairs.  Some permits require the approval of plans or a plat. If so, please submit two copies with your application. Upon approval, one set of plans will be returned with your permit.  Please contact Town Hall if you have any questions about these requirements and our permit fees.

The application for a building permit can be found here.

Please note that the above processes do not cover possible permitting that businesses may need from other government bodies, such as the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control or Department of Social Services. Please contact those agencies directly for information about their permit process.

To check to see if you need a business license or to ask a question related to licensing or permitting please call Jacquelyn Adams at 803-794-0408 or e-mail jadams@springdalesc.com

Zoning & Development

Zoning and development of the Town of Springdale is governed by a Comprehensive Plan which enables the Town to plan and zone, guide development, protect, promote and enhance the quality of life. As a tool to implement the plan, the Town adopted and updates a Zoning Ordinance and Land Development Regulations.

Zoning Ordinance

Land Development Ordinance

Zoning Map

Platt Springs Road Master Plan


The Zoning ordinance includes a full spectrum of regulations and guidelines that include the following: zoning district regulations, flood damage prevention regulations, conditional use restrictions, prohibited uses, landscape and buffer yard requirements, regulations of signs, communication towers, and antennas, etc. Before any type of construction or alteration to a building may commence, a zoning permit must be obtained from Town Hall.
 All applications and permits are available online or at Town Hall. For questions contact Ashley Watkins Town/Zoning Administrator. Should the applicant disagree with the decision of the Zoning Administrator, he/she may appeal to the Board of Zoning Appeals (see below).

Design Overlay District

Springdale properties located along Platt Springs Road, Ermine Road, Wattling Road, and Airport Boulevard are subject to the Design Overlay District standards. These requirements and standards are in addition to the primary zoning of the parcel. The goal of this district is to:
 ·promote unified planning and development along the Town’s major corridors,
 ·improve and enhance the aesthetic quality of land uses fronting these corridors, and
 ·foster civic pride.
 Where the alteration of the exterior appearance of a building or land is involved, an approved Certificate of Appropriateness is required. The most common standards regulate: signage, architectural details, and changing building/sign/awning colors.

Steps to obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness

1. Apply for a zoning permit.
 2. Once verified that the property is located in the overlay district, then submit the Certificate of Appropriateness and all supporting documents.
 3. Obtain approval from the Design Review Board (or Town Administrator where applicable). The Board was established to authorize permits if it finds that the proposed action would not adversely affect the character and environment of the affected area.

Business located in the home:

1. Apply for a Home Occupation Permit.
 2. Apply for business license (to download form, click on Business Licenses on the top right corner).

Business Locating in Existing Commercial Structure:

1. Apply for a Zoning Permit.
 2. Apply for a Business License. (If a building has been vacant for 30 days and the previous business/use is no longer permitted in that zoning district, then it is likely the request for a license will be denied. The applicant may appeal the decision of the Administrator to the Board of Zoning Appeals- see below).
 3. Apply for a Sign Permit. (A temporary sign permit may be issued for new businesses- see Administrator).

Zoning Board of Appeals

If you apply for a zoning permit and disagree with the decision of the zoning administrator, the applicant can appeal the request to the board. The board is required to hold a public hearing prior to making a decision. An applicant may request one of the three appeals:
 (1) Action of the Zoning Administrator: the applicant believes that there is an error in the interpretation made by the zoning official. (Zoning Ord. Sec. 6.2.1)
 (2) Variance: The applicant believes the literal enforcement of the provisions of the zoning ordinance results in an unnecessary hardship. (Zoning Ord. Sec. 6.2.2).
 (3) Special Exception: The applicant is seeking an exception for a use permitted by district regulations as a special exception with specific applicable criteria. (Zoning Ord. Sec. 6.2.3)
 Steps to file a Zoning Appeal:
 Submit a Notice of Appeal and Request for a Variance, Administrative, or Special Exception ($125 fee). Hearings are scheduled for the 4th Thursday of the month, therefore applications need to besubmitted at least 5weeks before the hearing. A notice of the public hearing is posted in the newspaper and on the subject property at least 15 days prior to the hearing.


The Land development regulations encourage development of an economically sound and stable community in addition to assuring adequate infrastructure and public open spaces. These regulations provide for the orderly development and subdivision of land within the Town. No subdivision plat for any land within the Town shall be filed until it has been submitted to and approved by the Town. Please contact the Administrator to schedule a preliminary plan review.

Amending a Plat

1. Pre-application meeting. To avoid delays, the applicant should discuss the proposed new plat or a revision to an existing plat with the Administrator prior to submitting a preliminary plat.
 2.Review and approval of preliminary plat. During the review, the Administrator gives consideration to the Comprehensive Plan and compliance with the minimum design standards (Article 5 Land Development Regulation). Once approved by the Town of Springdale, the plat should be filed with Lexington County.